Friday 28 June 2013

And again.

It's almost 4am. I am about to switch off the lights and curl under my blanket.
I know I won't fall asleep for another 3 hours though. I feel a slight shiver run down my spine. We're in the middle of summer but I feel a slight chill come on. I think it's here again. It doesn't let me sleep at night. I think...Yes, I sense a light draft of air crackle through the hidden crevices of the windowsill. The windows are quite old after all, creaking, reeking... It's all quite old to be frank. All with its fair share of cracks and fissures.  All with their fair share of cries for repair jobs.
I think I just saw the hem of the curtain ruffle again; almost caught a glimpse from the corner of my eye. Ruffling curtains, that's how it arrives: on the wind. Every night. Softly pushing the door open, only a few millimeters ajar. Tip-toeing... leaving me searching the empty corners of  the room, half-moons cradling my heavy lids for another night. I can't sleep again because it's back. There's the sound. I'm not remotely tired. I should get up. The sound again! The bratty laugh of a bunch of school children in the playground. A whiff! Smells like warmth. I can't stop staring at the light. It's like sunshine even though there is no sun.  Looks brownish. I don't want to switch it off anymore. The brown frock. The gray kameez. There's still sunshine. A sudden lull in the room now. I think I'll crawl  back under my sheets. Maybe if I just shut my eyes first, I'll fall asleep automatically. Wait, did I just hear a step? Those footsteps. I know that clicking sound. Typically him. He was such a good friend. It's 5 am. He can't possibly be... My parents will kill both of us if they see a boy in the house. And at 5 am. Umm and after that they'll shoot themselves too because they won't be able to live with the fact that they killed their own child. Ridiculous. Yes? We were almost best friends. There is no one. She was right, I'll buy a sleeping mask tomorrow once and for all. Maybe earplugs too. In fact I need the earplugs more. Shit! Where are my headphones? I hope I didn't leave them in the office drawer again. I wasn't even hungry I don't know why I had that tikka. Bitch, stop whining. I probably would've been asleep by now. What shuffled?! Unannounced. Like every night, it won't let me sleep before 7am again. I just know it. Can't forget how we skyped  through the night till 7am once. Crazy! Fuck. These memories don't let us sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment